Department of Epidemiology, Research and Training
The mission of the Department of Epidemiology is to improve the public’s health by training epidemiologists and by advancing knowledge concerning the causes and prevention of disease and the promotion of health.
Goals of this department
- Establish national public health research agenda with goals and objectives that address priority health issues, which may include certain suitable capacities.
- Strengthen public health research capacity within public institutions, in partnership with academic institutions in the country.
- Promote collaboration and coordination among existing networks for conducting research on priority public health research issues
- Assess the effectiveness of existing public health interventions on health conditions that have been prioritized by the health policy instruments of the Ministry of Health and Human Service.
- Support research on surveillance methodologies: quality interventions and innovative technologies.
- Provide the highest quality education/training in epidemiology and thus prepare the next generation of epidemiologists
- Use epidemiologic methods to investigate the etiology of disease in human populations
- Use epidemiologic methods to evaluate health care delivery, prevention and health promotion programs
- Develop methodology for translating epidemiologic research findings into clinical medicine
- Develop approaches for applying the findings of epidemiologic research in the formulation of public policy and to participate in formulating and evaluating the effects of such policy.
This department has the following section
- Section and research and training coordination
- Section of monitoring and evaluation
- Section of nutrition/food and drug control
- Section of maternal and child health
- Section of surveillance and disease intelligence